DESCRIPTION OF THE SITE AND THE LANDSCAPE
The site is 8.37 ha (20.67 acres) and lies within the suburban area of Blundellsands. It is set back about 270 metres from the mean high water line and is a relic of the once extensive mobile sand dune complex of the Sefton Coast. The surrounding developments have ensured that the Park is cut off from fresh supplies of sand, but areas of open dune remain in the north westerly section.
The southern eastern section has developed a scrub cover of gorse and hawthorn over relic dune, but work laid down in the 30 year Management Plan has meant that many of these areas are now being cleared to reveal a variety of native plans and flora.
There are small woodland blocks in the north western and south eastern extremes of the Park and in the centre with a strong sycamore component, which are again being cleared, oak incursion and some replanting with Scots Pine.
Two amenity areas exist within the Park, one, a children’s play area is integral within the Park and provides a safe haven for families with young children, the other, a set of tennis courts, which are leased out to a local club, the Blundellsands Lawn Tennis Club and is fenced off from the rest of the Park and accessed from Warren Road.
The Park is big enough for users to enjoy a sense of space as they walk around the different sections forming a variety of landscapes and habitats. The open dune is designated as an SLBI (Site of Local Biological Interest) for its vegetation and associated fauna.
HISTORY OF MANAGEMENT
Records indicate that the Park is laid out in 1865 on the instructions of Nicholas Blundell of Crosby Hall, having been donated by the Weld-Blundell family for the use by the residents of Blundellsands. It has been managed since by Trustees on behalf of key holding Members.
An amenity area and tennis courts has been established within Park boundaries from at least the mid 1930’s as recorded by Charles Lamb in 1936 (The Story of Crosby).
In the 1990’s a team of people worked in the Park under a Government training scheme putting in place some of the more permanent structures (steps and path surfaces).
The Park has had a Warden based on site since 1995 who both patrols the Park and has been instrumental and involved in supervising and implementing the many improvements, facilities and structures we see in the Park today. In 1995 the Trust applied to The Heritage Lottery Fund and were successful in receiving a grant to replace the old and dilapidated railings around the Park.
The Park remains, in perpetuity, a safe area for the members’ quiet enjoyment allowing them to walk in a variety of semi-natural landscapes. The vegetation reflects the coastal origins, comprising open dune, woodland and gorse scrub as an integral part of a patchwork of largely native habitats. The Park is within the Sefton Red Squirrel buffer zone, so the tree species are mostly small-seeded broadleaf, with some Scots pine content. The perimeter of the park is screened using trees and shrubs forming a link between the woodland blocks.
What is our vision?
The Trustees are committed to maintaining and improving the dune habitat of the Park that protects the many varied plant, animal and insect species together with providing a peaceful and tranquil environment for the Members to enjoy. This is reflected in the 30 Year Management Plan which commenced in 2007 and can be read elsewhere on this website.